Skip to content

Betty’s Week

By Betty Shearer

Even though I had July-like temps, March winds (which were appreciated with the hot temp) and August humidity, my calendar read May and it was a nice morning to deliver papers last Wednesday. There was  no rain. 

It took about twice as long to deliver Wednesday due to the double size papers (they included the graduation section). Guess I got tired and a  little brain dead, because I completely forgot to stop by Rascals. Got a call later in the morning to ask if I’d had a problem. 

Grabbed my key and raced back to right my error. Told Mel where I was going and she then related the news to David. He and Mel are always commenting on the fact that I seldom feel tired (brain dead as they call it) or forget anything important. Well, they now have something to tease me about. 

David was laughing when I returned from my second deliver route and says, “It’s great to have someone else’s cheese slip off their cracker.” That was a new one for  me.

There was a crowd at Dunn’s and saw lots of fishing boats, RVs, and pontoons out headed to the lake. These got even more numerous as the week went on. Coming home both Thursday and Friday, I saw many, many of these recreational units pulling into Enid. Then on Sunday, I saw the same going down the bypass, both ways. Some going to Sardis, I’m sure, and others to Grenada.  

I do miss our family Memorial Day picnics. We usually waited until late in the afternoon (after most everyone  else had gone home) to have our picnic, swim and ski. I guess we’ve gotten to old or to lazy to get these family events together.


There was a birthday party Wednesday night at Woodland Hills for the children during prayer meeting. They all seemed to have a wonderful time of eating and fellowship before their study period.


Was great traveling  over to Batesville Thursday morning for mom-sitting duty at the nursing home. There was very little traffic and no school buses. Arrived and just let Mom sleep until she woke up, thinking maybe she’d be in a good mood and eat. Wrong! 

She refused to even drink water and certainly did not want any coffee or food. At lunch time she still refused to eat. She finally drank a few swallows of water. Then when Jimmie arrived after work, Mom stated she was  hungry. I stayed with her, while Jimmie went to KFC to get mashed potatoes and chicken, which she ate most of. She also drank milk, ate chocolate pudding and drank lots of water. 

We both felt much better after seeing Mom eat a little. I came home for a good  night’s sleep and was hopeful for a better day on Friday. Again the weather and traffic were wonderful on Friday morning. My only problem was that I ran over a little turtle and I hate to hit one—actually hate to kill any animal. 

Woke Mom at regular breakfast time and this didn’t work either—she again refused to eat. Tried to feed her all morning, but she would not take a bite. Then lunch came and she smiled as I put her bib on. She took her tea and began to drink it and then I fed her most of her lunch before she stated she’d had enough. 

Offered her chocolate pudding, her favorite, and she ate all of it declaring, “This is good.” 

As I left that evening, Jimmie was feeding her and she was eating her supper. You just don’t know what mood Mom is going to be in these days. Brother Rance says, “At almost 105 you take the good days, and appreciate them when you get them, and tolerate the bad ones.” 

While sitting with Mom I watched the tornado damage in Missouri and other states. My sympathy went out to those folks, as I remembered our destruction during the 1984 tornado. My prayers are with them and I’m sure that our disaster teams from Mississippi will go to help. 

Had decided to attend the graduation ceremony Friday night if Mom was okay. She was fine, was in a good mood, had taken her shower and was in bed taking a nap in plenty of time for me to make it. 

However, knew I’d be so late I’d have to park on the street. Remembered how hard it was to get into the gym—long walk and mostly uphill, then in the gym you had to climb stairs and then climb into the bleachers. Decided that the knee would probably not allow this. 

On Sunday morning I expressed my sorrow to graduates and their parents, whom I’d really like to have been there for.  Was told that it was good that I did not come, stating there was an overflow crowd and I might  not have had a seat. Was happy that so many family members and friends attended.


Saturday morning, after putting clothes in the washer, washing dishes, and doing a bit of housecleaning, I fixed a mid-morning snack and sat on the den sofa to rest a bit. Was surprised to find leaves coming off the trees almost like it was fall. However, they were yellow, but they were falling abundantly. I’m sure our large amount of rainfall, cooler than usual weather, and then the sudden period of dry, sunny weather, as well as the unusually high temps for this time of year has caused this. 

I have piles of leaves under the carport, much like fall and winter, and one morning when I got into the van leaves blew in. They were pretty falling and the trees seem healthy enough, so maybe we won’t lose any trees.

Deer food must be plentiful, because I have a few hostas left and they are looking good. Any day though, I expect to go out and find them eaten off to the ground or pulled up by the roots. This really makes me want to get plants into the pots and beds—I’m sure I’m being lulled into a false sense of deer absence. They may be just hoping I’ll put out some better appetizers than hosta—they can forget knock-out roses and encore azaleas. Those are to expensive and too hard to plant.


Sunday I wore a suit (with a skirt) and heels for the first time in a couple of years. Mom would have been pleased with the skirt—she thought Sunday morning was for dresses. However, Jimmie will yell at me for putting heels back on—she told me after the first knee problem to throw or give away all my heels. 

Well I’ll still have to work up to the three and four inch heels (my favorites), but it was fun to slip into the two and a half inch ones. Didn’t have a problem. I had been gradually working my way up to them, wearing what I call my pants heels. 

They are about 1-1/2 inch and flat, as opposed to pointed. One pair of these is a brown leather, three-strap sandal, which I’ve had for years. Was surprised one night recently, when watching one of the Hallmark movies, to see the lead actress wearing the same shoe in white—wish I had them in white. Also, wondered whose closet they’d raided or maybe they had attended someone’s yard sale—know mine are probably over 15 years old.


We had a good crowd at Woodland Hills Sunday morning and heard a wonderful message delivered by Bro. Darrell Logan. Bro. Logan is from Bruce and taught for 35 years at Coffeeville. I didn’t remember his having been with us before, but Mrs. Evelyn Thomas reminded me that he had and the reason I didn’t remember him was that I was absent that day. 

I rarely ever miss a Sunday morning service, but she remembered that Bro. Rance, our Sunday sitter, was ill and I had gone over to take his place. I’m sure glad some folks still have good memories. 


David and I worked on Memorial Day and we were  pretty lonely. Had only had a few phone calls and a couple of folks to come in. I’m sure everyone is enjoying this wonderful holiday—weather is beautiful. 

Hope everyone remembers the occasion for this holiday and have paused for a quiet time of appreciation for all those who have given their all for our freedom. David attended the program at Railroad Park. There was an excellent crowd there, with the delightful weather we’re having. I’ve seen large gatherings for this event even in the rain. 

Haven’t been to the cemetery in probably 15 years (no Ed to go with) to see the flags placed on these fallen solders’ graves. This is always a moving sight and is one that’s carried out through the nation and even on foreign soil. It is good to remember and appreciate all these who gave their lives for this noble cause.

Leave a Comment