Skip to content

Betty’s Week

By Betty Shearer

Wednesday morning paper delivery is always fun. Linda at Tobacco World usually has an interesting problem. This week she was on the ice deliveryman’s case. Seems that they had run out of ice and that’s not good in the heat we’ve been having. 

Week before last I overheard one of the checkers tell a shopper in Larson’s that they were out of ice and Tobacco World was my next delivery, so I advised Linda to get ready for ice customers. Fortunately she had plenty of ice then, but quickly found herself with the same problem—out of ice and no delivery. Can’t wait to deliver on Wednesday and see if the problem got fixed—if I know Linda, I’m sure it did. 

People were out early Wednesday, with a crowd at Sayle Oil, Dunn’s and Express Mart on Hwy. 315. Water reports were that it was still high everywhere and everyone was anxious about the predicted additional six inches of rain—thankfully we did not get it. However folks north of us weren’t spared and the flooding is terrible. Damage is estimated to be in the billions and, even worse, lives were lost.

Then Monday morning I turned on the television briefly and saw a toppled crane that split an apartment building and parking garage into, killing one woman and injuring several others. The garage had five stories of vehicles piled on top of each other. If there were injuries there it was not reported. This happened in Dallas and was caused by high winds – above 50 mph. 

It seems that each time you flip on the news there are catastrophes, murders, and other bad news—rarely any good news these days.


Trips to Batesville Thursday and Friday were all very nice. The beautiful countrysides now have an abundance of Queen Anne’s lace, which I used in the past to make flower arrangements. You can take food coloring and turn it any color you need and it’s a great filler. Yucca is still in full bloom and it also works well in large arrangements. 

Around homes the hydrangea and peonies are blooming and there are so many colors now. Mom’s house has an old original blue hydrangea and a pink peony, which are always so pretty. Have not been to the house in a long time—must go by to see if they’re still there and also she has so many pretty irises, which have probably gotten too deep to bloom—mine have. 

Need to replant them in new beds. I have about a hundred Dutch irises by the front walk, which have never been put in a bed and they bloomed this year. The cardboard box they were delivered in finally rotted and I guess they got there roots into some soil. They sure were pretty. Deer have still not eaten my two remaining hostas. 


Mom and I had one good day and one terrible one. On Thursday she woke up in a cross mood, wouldn’t eat, fought us when we tried to get her out of bed and was just disagreeable all day. She finally ate a little supper. On Friday she was awake when I arrived, announcing that it was a beautiful day. Then when breakfast came she ate most of it, drank all her coffee, milk and juice. 

Got out of bed and thanked us all for helping her. When lunch came she again ate most of it. I had given her water during  the morning and each time she patted my hand and said, “thank you honey.” After lunch I left her water on her table and she picked it up and drank then put it back—her old self. Do hope this continues.


Last week, and even still this Monday, it has been fun looking back for old pictures and articles about former watermelon carnivals. Mary Sue Stevens was searching for Jack Gurner’s watermelon babies. All of these, now grown, men and women were such cute babies. They’re now handsome and beautiful men and women. One of the Shuffield boys (think it was Tanner) was shown cutting a watermelon with a Still chainsaw and one of the Edwards’ sons was pictured checking eyes. I’m sure all these will be in the Carnival Program this year. 

Linda White and Toni Hill were searching for all the former Watermelon Queens. Queens from 1980 forward are not so hard, but the early queens are a bit difficult. Toni was in Monday morning and she had the pictures, but was having a bit of trouble identifying each one. We were able to get names and pictures for the early queens, which are included in this week’s Herald.

After we got the queens identified, Toni and I recalled fondly our memories of the Jaycee sponsored fairs, held at the fairgrounds, located just below my house on Hwy. 315. This started with me telling her that the first time I remember seeing her was when Ed was at her dad’s shop, probably getting something repaired. Markley was our go-to repairman. When we arrived he was out on Main Street with his little micro racer, “The Little Rebel.” 

I was urged to get in and try it. At that time I had only driven a tractor in a 40 acre field. I got in, thinking I was only going to sit in it.  It was cranked and I was instructed to just drive it down the street. I was terrified, but Toni (then about seven) ran along beside me telling me, “I can do it, you can do it.”  

I guess, with Toni’s help, I did okay—at least I did not wreck it. After that I saw the little car race several times. Highlight of one of these races was the late Marty Robbins, who did not just attend but also raced and probably won. He went on to become about as famous a racer as he was a country singer. Toni and I both remembered that he was a delightful man and very handsome. 

Marty was here before Jim was born, so that’s been over 55 years. Toni and I both also know that we got autographed pictures of Marty—we really need to look for those.

The fair had a celebratory guests each year. I remember that several years  later the guest was Sky King—Jim was about two and we have a picture of him holding Jim.

Then we remembered the great fire that took all the exhibit buildings. She says, “Do you remember that?”  Well I certainly did because from our  house it looked like the world was on fire and we just could not believe that it was all taken away in such a short time. Neither of us could remember the cause of the fire—really doubt that it was every known. Probably was electrical, though.

Hope they need some more pictures or info, because I enjoy remembering all the wonderful things that have happened in the Valley. I’m also grateful that we still have fun things going on—unfortunately I don’t get to attend them.


I did get to the Farmers Market a week ago and the squash and kale I bought were so good. Had plans to go last Saturday, but did not make it. I’m make a special effort, though, when field corn and tomatoes are available.


Sunday,  our visiting speaker at Woodland Hills Baptist Church was Bro. Bobby Douglass and he delivered two great messages. He and his wife, Cynthia, are such delightful people and we’re looking forward to having him with us again on Father’s Day. Worship service begins at 10:30 a.m. There will only be one service on Father’s Day, giving everyone time to visit with family. 

Everyone is welcome at Woodland Hills at any service. Sunday School begins at 9:30, disciple training at 5:30 p.m. and evening worship at 6:15. Wednesday night prayer meeting starts at 6:30. 

The exciting news at Woodland Hills is that we had three vacation missionaries leave for a foreign field on Tuesday. Please pray for them and I’ll tell you more about their trip when they return. 

Also, put the Water Valley Mission Team on your prayer list. I’m sure they will be leaving soon and again they will be going to Nicaragua. I’m sure we’ll be getting more information on this trip soon.

Leave a Comment