Skip to content

Third Quarter Surge Wasn’t Enough For Blue Devil Comeback Against Wildcats

Blue Devil junior Marion Morgan played an impressive game with two long punt returns that set up touchdowns. Morgan also recorded a 30-yard touchdown run for his team’s third touchdown in the contest.

WATER VALLEY – A  27-point deficient headed into halftime proved too much in Friday’s game against the Calhoun City Wildcats despite a third-quarter, two-touchdown comeback attempt by the young Blue Devils squad. The third quarter push narrowed the Wildcat (1-2) lead to 13 points, 34-21, but the Blue Devils (1-1) were unable to find the endzone in the final quarter while Calhoun City scored their only second half points early in the fourth quarter to clinch the victory, 40-21.
Water Valley struggled on both sides of the ball during most of the opening half, going three and out during their first five possessions while allowing Calhoun City to score five times on consecutive possessions to put up 34 unanswered points.
The Blue Devils first break in the game came after Marquis Cook recovered a fumble on the Wildcats’ 15 yard-line with 95 ticks remaining in the half. Two plays later quarterback C.J. Telford scooped up a Blue Devil fumble, narrowly avoiding a turnover as he scrambled nine yards to the one yard line. Dre McCray punched in the touchdown from a yard out for Water Valley’s only score before the half ended, 34-7.
The momentum shift continued in the third quarter after the Blue Devil defense forced a Calhoun City punt on their first possession. Marion Morgan was able to find the corner on a 30-yard punt return to mid-field, giving his team their best field position to start a drive in the game. Carothers picked up a 35-yard run on the Blue Devils’ first play of the drive. A quarterback keeper by Telford moved the ball another 10 yards. Que Carothers ran the ball into the end zone with 7:29 remaining in the third quarter to narrow the gap, 34 to 14.
The Blue Devil defense would stand strong again following the score, forcing the Wildcats to punt on their next possession. In a repeat performance, Marion Morgan scooped up the punt and raced 35 yards to put the Blue Devils 30 yards from the goal line. A reverse play set up Marion Morgan to march 30 yards to the end zone and put the Water Valley within 13 points of the Wildcats, 34 – 21, with just over two minutes remaining in the third.
After both teams battled in their next possessions, the Blue Devil defense had Calhoun City backed up to their 43-yard line and facing third and 22 before a reverse play opened up a receiver for a 54-yard pass that put the Wildcats three yards from pay dirt. The Wildcats surged across the goal two plays later in what would be the final points of the game.
The Blue Devils will be back in action Friday night for their homecoming game against an undefeated Winona team. Homecoming festivities will be held prior to the game at 5:30 p.m. Kickoff is at 7:30.

Leave a Comment