If you’re a current subscriber, log in below. If you would like to subscribe, please click the subscribe tab above.
Username and Password Help
WATER VALLEY – A safety checkpoint conducted by the Water Valley Police Department Friday led to a drug arrest and apprehension of a fugitive wanted out of neighboring Lafayette County. Chief Jason Mangrum reported Robert Wood, 29, of Water Valley was arrested for Possession of a Controlled Substance, Schedule II, after officers discovered approximately 11 grams of alleged methamphetamine in his possession.
Wood was booked in the Yalobusha County Detention Center (YCDC) and a hold was placed on him by Lafayette County. Wood was featured on the Lafayette County Sheriff’s Department’s most wanted list for grand larceny back in November.
The chief said the arrest came after officers detected the smell of marijuana in his vehicle. During the investigation, the alleged methamphetamine was discovered. The suspect initially provided false information to officers about his identity.
“He provided a Tennessee driver’s license to officers, but during booking we were able to determine his actual identity,” Mangrum explained.
Other law enforcement activity reported by the chief includes:
• Scott Lexa, 56, of Water Valley was arrested on May 17 for domestic violence – simple assault. Officers were dispatched to an address on Blackmur Drive for a domestic dispute in progress. Officers arrived and discovered a female had been assaulted and Lexa was the assailant. Lexa was still on the scene and was arrested and booked into Yalobusha County Detention Center (YCDC).
• Hoang Le, 47, of Grenada was arrested for DUI first offense after officers made a traffic stop for speeding on Hwy. 7 near Wise Street on May 17. During the stop officers determined Le was under the influence of alcohol. He was arrested and booked into YCDC.
• Alfred Pritchard, 39, of Water Valley was arrested for DUI second offense on May 20. Officers were conducting a safety checkpoint when they encountered Pritchard. During the investigation they determined that he was under the influence. Pritchard had entered a guilty plea for DUI first offense in municipal court a day earlier, triggering the second offense charge. He was booked into YCDC.
• Curtis Lewis, 62, of Water Valley was arrested on May 20 for felony DUI. Mangrum reported officers were conducting a safety checkpoint when they encountered Lewis and determined he was under the influence. Lewis had at least three prior DUI convictions, triggering the felony charge. He was booked into YCDC.
• David Trace Schmitz, 38, of Water Valley was arrested for an outstanding warrant from the City of Water Valley on May 21. The arrest came after officers responded to a report of a suspicious person near Subway on South Main. The suspect had left the business prior to the officers arrival, but an officer patrolling the area spotted him based on the description from the complainant. After discovering the outstanding warrant, officers arrested Schmitz and transported him to YCDC.
• Megan Odell, 30, of Grenada was arrested for DUI – first offense after trying to avoid a safety checkpoint on May 21. Officers were able to get her vehicle safety stopped, and as they were speaking to her they determined that she was under the influence. Odell was booked into YCDC. She also had an outstanding warrant from Grenada County and a hold was placed on him.
• George Morgan, 58, of Water Valley was arrested for DUI – first offense on May 21. Officers encountered Morgan and determined he was operating a motor vehicle under the influence. He was booked in the YCDC.
• Charles Dyer, 39, of Water Valley was arrested for DUI – first offense on May 21. Officers encountered Dyer at a safety checkpoint on Hwy. 7.