If you’re a current subscriber, log in below. If you would like to subscribe, please click the subscribe tab above.
Username and Password Help
COFFEEVILLE – Winfred Logan of Coffeeville was charged with aggravated assault for his alleged involvement in a pair of shootings on May 8.
Yalobusha County Sheriff Jerimaine Gooch reported Logan was arrested on June 8, a month after deputies investigated an early morning shooting on County Road 222 in Fly subdivision and another shooting later that morning on County Road 169. The sheriff reported a vehicle was struck by 10 rounds on County Road 222 and a vehicle and residence was shot in the second shooting on County Road 169.
Gooch added that Anthony Spearman, Jr., also of Coffeeville was charged in the same shootings. Spearman was arrested on May 30.
“We appreciate all of the assistance from the public as well as the Water Valley and Coffeeville police departments with this case,” Gooch reported. “All of the officers and deputies worked long hours trying to get these cases resolved.”
In other law enforcement news, Gooch reported the following activity:
• Arrested Eric Hervey of Tillatoba on May 26 for DUI. The arrest was made on Hwy. 51.
• Arrested Leroypheale Griggs on May 28 for DUI. The arrest was made at a safety checkpoint at the intersection of Hwy. 51 and CR 10 in Tillatoba.
• Arrested Geneluvet Smith of Charleston for Possession of a Controlled Substance, Schedule II, with intent to distribute on June 2. The arrest was made at a safety checkpoint at the intersection of Hwy. 51 and CR 10 in Tillatoba. Gooch reported deputies found a little over a quarter-ounce of alleged methamphetamine in the suspect’s vehicle. The sheriff’s department also submitted samples of alleged ecstasy to the crime lab, and a second charge is pending.
• Arrested Richard McEwen for felony fleeing after he turned around to avoid a safety checkpoint during the early morning hours on June 8. Gooch reported deputies and officers with the Water Valley Police Department were manning the checkpoint near the Lafayette/Yalobusha County line when McEwen turned around to avoid them.
“He fled a short distance in Lafayette County before wrecking out,” Gooch said.
McEwen then fled a short distance on foot before he was apprehended.
The sheriff reported that McEwen was also an absconded fugitive wanted by the Mississippi Department of Corrections.
“He had violated the terms of his probation,” the sheriff explained.
•Arrested Alexis Jackson at her house in Coffeeville on a warrant for aggravated domestic assault and robbery on June 8. The sheriff reported Jackson allegedly assaulted a male victim at the Camelot Apartments in Coffeeville earlier in the week and stole money from him.
• Arrested Jason Nelson of Coffeeville and Tammy Davis, address unknown on June 10.
“We were investigation a claim of forgery after receiving a report that a someone was writing checks on a patient in the hospital,” Gooch explained. “We went to serve an arrest warrant on the forgery charge and Davis resisted by attempting to hide in the closet.”
The sheriff said deputies also discovered methamphetamine during the execution of the warrant.
Davis is charged with resisting arrest and Possession of a Controlled Substance, Schedule II. Nelson was charged with hindering prosecution and Possession of a Controlled Substance, Schedule II.
• Arrested Steven Kyle Stewart for felony fleeing, careless driving, DUI, no driver’s license and improper equipment on June 11. Stewart led deputies on a 20-plus mile pursuit that started on County Road 148 after an attempted traffic stop.
• Arrested Terry Franklin Smith for DUI other, no driver’s license and possession of drug paraphernalia on June 12. The arrest was made in the Shell station parking lot on Hwy. 32 in Oakland.