If you’re a current subscriber, log in below. If you would like to subscribe, please click the subscribe tab above.
Username and Password Help
COFFEEVILLE – A Coffeeville man was charged with two counts of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon following an early morning shooting Saturday that injured two people. Sheriff Jerimaine Gooch reported Fred Horton was arrested following the altercation in the Bakersville community outside of Coffeeville around 2 a.m.
Sheriff Gooch reported that the shooting stemmed from a verbal argument that escalated. Horton allegedly shot a male victim two times at point blank range and a female victim once in the leg. Both victims were transported to University of Mississippi Medical Center in Grenada in a private vehicle. The female victim was treated and released. The male victim was later transferred to Regional One Health in Memphis for treatment.
Other arrests reported by the sheriff include:
Nathan Denley of Scobey faces a barrage of charges after deputies responded to a report of a suspicious person at the intersection of County Road 55 and County Road 2 on June 24.
“The caller reported a suspicious person and possible trespassing,” Gooch explained.
When deputies arrived, Denley was arrested for driving while license is suspended, driving with a switched tag, disorderly conduct, failure to comply, resisting arrest, possession of a weapon by a felon, possession of drug paraphernalia and possession of methamphetamine. During the investigation, deputies discovered items inside Denley’s vehicle that were linked to a crime reported earlier in the week at the railroad substation in Coffeeville.
“We wrote a search warrant for Denley’s vehicle and recovered items reported missing from the burglary,” Gooch added.
The stolen items recovered included the box that controls the scales, copper wire stripped from inside the building and batteries from big trucks.
Denley was charged with commercial burglary in the thefts.
• Steven Clements and Blanca Scoggins were arrested in Coffeeville by the sheriff for felony child abuse warrants on June 24. Scoggins was also charged with two counts of forgery.
“I have been working on this case for a couple of months after receiving a report from Child Protection Services that a child had methamphetamine in his system,” Gooch reported. “We got arrest warrants after the lab work came back.”
• Joe Exson of Oakland was arrested on June 23 on a bench warrant. The sheriff reported the warrant was issued after Exson missed a court date in circuit court.
• Patricia Gross of Water Valley was arrested for DUI at the intersection of Hwy. 32 and County Road 100. A deputy was assisting a motorist in a disabled vehicle when Gross pulled up.
“The deputy asked if she was okay. She told him ‘No, I’m drunk,” Gooch said.
• Jeffery Neal Bennett was arrested at his residence on County Road 82 for felony taking of a motor vehicle on June 21. The sheriff reported Bennett stole a road grader owned by the county and graded his driveway.
“Somebody spotted him on the grader and called the county supervisor,” Gooch said.
The sheriff responded and took Bennett into custody.
• Robert Keith and Denise Edwards of Water Valley were each charged with domestic violence on June 21. Gooch made the arrest after responding to a 911 call at a residence near the jail.
• Dee Craig of Water Valley was arrested on June 15 on warrants for simple assault and domestic violence.