Chief Reports Most Carnival Goers Were Well Behaved
If you’re a current subscriber, log in below. If you would like to subscribe, please click the subscribe tab above.
Username and Password Help
WATER VALLEY – Mayor Donald Gray’s advice for carnival goers was well received as the weekend tally of incidents that required law enforcement response during the carnival were minimal.
“Like my momma always said, ‘behave yourselves,’” Gray told the crowd during the opening ceremony Friday afternoon. With a huge crowd Friday night and much of the day Saturday, Water Valley Police Chief Jason Mangrum reported that problems during the carnival were minimal.
The list of incidents shared by the chief included two fights, both involving juvenile females; a minor vehicle accident by the railroad depot involving two vehicles; one walk-off child who was only missing for minutes; a motorhome that struck an awning at Renasant Bank; and one pedestrian struck by a vehicle Saturday around noon. The chief reported the pedestrian was a juvenile and did not require medical transport to the hospital.
Mangrum said the only heat-related medical incident that he is aware of was a call for EMTs after a lady passed out under a tree.
“We had a really, really good carnival. There were no arrests connected to the event,” Mangrum added. “Only a few tickets written during the 3K run/walk and car parade when motorists tried to bypass roads that were blocked off.”
Mangrum attributed the success to good citizens following the mayor’s advice and a strong police presence.
“We focused hard on the carnival. We appreciate the support of the city board with funding for extra officers during the big weekend,” the chief added.
In other weekend news, Mangrum reported a two-vehicle crash at the Hwy 315 and Hwy 7 intersection on the bypass Saturday afternoon. The chief said the wreck was the first worked by his department since the Mississippi Department of Transportation changed the intersection to a four-way stop back in March.
“It was a hard hit and both vehicles had young people inside. We were very fortunate there were no serious injuries,” Mangrum told the Herald. He also said the driver of the vehicle traveling on Hwy. 7 had not been in the area for months and was not aware that the intersection had been converted to a four-way stop. Prior to the change on March 21, traffic on Hwy. 315 stopped at the intersection while traffic on Hwy. 7 did not.