‘VROOM-VROOM Touch A Truck’ Day Is Saturday In Oakland
If you’re a current subscriber, log in below. If you would like to subscribe, please click the subscribe tab above.
Username and Password Help
The weather forecast for this Saturday’s VROOM-VROOM Touch a Truck Day in Oakland is picture perfect for outdoor fun! The 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. event is free and all contributions will benefit the Oakland Volunteer Fire Department.
At least three different types of fire trucks will be on hand for children and their families to view up close along with many other types of large vehicles such as a school bus, an 18-wheeler, an ambulance, farm-related equipment, a dump truck, even a helicopter. Bucket trucks, bulldozers, tractors, and more are expected to fill the downtown area for youngsters and young at heart who just love big trucks and cool equipment! Games and food trucks will also be available. Arts and crafts vendors are expected to be on hand.
Saturday wraps up National Fire Prevention Week. The Oakland Volunteer Fire Department reminds you to change batteries in your smoke detectors in October as well as to have an established escape plan in your home in case of fire. The National Fire Prevention Association suggests the following:
• Make sure your home escape plan meets the needs of all your family members, including those with sensory or physical disabilities.
• Smoke alarms should be installed inside every sleeping room, outside each separate sleeping area, and on every level of your home. Smoke alarms should be interconnected so when one sounds, they all sound.
• Know at least two ways out of every room, if possible. Make sure all doors and windows open easily.
• Have an outside meeting place a safe distance from your home where everyone should meet.
• Practice your home fire drill at least twice a year with everyone in the household, including guests. Practice at least once during the day and at night.
The Oakland Volunteer Fire Department is the one of the busiest Fire Department in Yalobusha County logging more callouts than any department. If you own a business, a home, a car, a pasture or woods, Oakland’s Volunteer Fire Department is what stands between your property and a fire. They also assist medical helicopters needing to land for emergency transport from the area as well as extractions from vehicular fires and accidents and water search and rescue efforts.
The Fire Department will use funds raised to match grants to help purchase needed fire suits and equipment.