Rogers And Harris Are First Candidates To Qualify In Yalobusha
If you’re a current subscriber, log in below. If you would like to subscribe, please click the subscribe tab above.
Username and Password Help
WATER VALLEY – Two county candidates filed paperwork Tuesday morning, January 3, to run for office. Circuit Clerk Daryl Burney reported Kenneth Rogers filed paperwork to seek re-election for District 2 Supervisor and Eddie Harris filed paperwork to seek re-election for District 4 Supervisor. Both men are running as Democrats.
The 2023 Election includes statewide offices, state district offices, county offices and county district offices. The qualifying period runs from Jan. 3 to Wednesday, Feb. 1.
According to the Secretary of State, general qualifications to seek an elected office include:
• Be a qualified elector (registered voter) of the State of Mississippi and of the district, county or municipality of the office for which he or she seeks election.
• Has not been convicted of bribery, perjury or other infamous crime, being a crime punishable by a minimum of one (1) year confinement in the state penitentiary, i.e., all felonies, unless pardoned for the offense.
• Has not been convicted of a felony in a court of this state, or, on or after December 8, 1992, of a felony in a federal court, or of an offense in the court of another state which is a felony under the laws of this state, as provided in Section 44 of the Mississippi Constitution; excluding, however, convictions of manslaughter and violations of the United States Internal Revenue Code or any violations of the tax laws of this state, unless the offense also involved the misuse or abuse of an office or money coming into a candidate’s hands by virtue of an office.
The 2023 Elections dates are:
• Primary Election Day – Tuesday, August 8, 2023
• Primary Runoff Election Day – Tuesday, August 29, 2023
• General/Special Election Day – Tuesday, November 7, 2023
• General/Special Runoff Election Day – Tuesday, November 28, 2023.