Police Investigate Assault, Stolen Truck
WATER VALLEY – Police are investigating an alleged aggravated assault with a vehicle that occurred around 2:30 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 11, on Lee St. A female was taken from the scene by ambulance to Baptist Hospital in Oxford where she was treated and released.
Marie Gaston, 26, of Water Valley was arrested for aggravated assault in connection with the incident, according to Lt. Rick McCuan.
Police are also seeking information about a stolen 1992 Chevrolet extended cab pick-up truck that was taken late Thursday or early Friday from a local body shop. The vehicle is black and silver with a broken window on the passenger side and displays a disabled tag.
Anyone with information is urged to contact the Water Valley Police Department at 473-2933 or Crime Stoppers at 1-866-933-TIPS (8477).
Lt. Rick McCuan reported the following additional law enforcement activity within the Water Valley City limits during the past week:
• Made four arrests for possession of marijuana in a motor vehicle;
• Made two arrests for driving under suspension;
• Made an arrest for public drunk;
• Made an arrest for public profanity;
• Made an arrest for disturbing the peace;
• Took a report of identity theft;
• Took a report of disturbing the peace;
• Took two reports of stalking;
• Issued 25 traffic citations.
TILLATOBA – Three people have been arrested in connection with the burglaries of five vehicles on County Road 10 near Tillatoba on Aug. 25.
Kylea Sanderock, age 21, Carlton Wolfford, age 23, and Jonathan Sumner, 18, all of Grenada face charges in a multi-county crime spree, according to Sheriff Lance Humphreys.
The three were picked up on Monday, Sept. 15, by the Grenada County Sheriff’s Department.
“They would find a road and go from house to house, breaking into parked cars,” Humphreys said. The majority of the vehicles were not locked, the sheriff added. “Sometimes a crime can be prevented by simply locking your doors,” Humphreys said.
A radio, several CD players and a scanner were among items taken from thefts on County Road 10.
“They have admitted to a lot of burglaries,” Humphreys said. The group had allegedly operated in Grenada and Panola counties.
In other sheriff’s department news:
• A stolen truck taken in the county was recovered at a Charleston scrap yard, according to Humphreys. An arrest is pending on the case.
• Deputies made an arrest for DUI, first offense, on Hwy. 330 on Sept. 8.
• Deputies took a report of a stolen four-wheeler on Sept. 13. The ATV was taken from a residence on County Road 53.
• Deputies are investigating a burglary on County Road 95. Two weapons were taken on this incident, which occurred on Sept. 10.
• Deputies worked a traffic accident off of County Road 221 near a boat ramp.
• Deputies worked a malicious mischief on County Road 105. “Somebody ran through a yard and tore down a mailbox,” Humphreys reported.
• Deputies answered a call of simple assault in Oakland on Redbud Street on Sept. 9.
• Deputies responded to a domestic disturbance call on County Road 432 on Sept. 11.
• Deputies responded to an auto burglary at the Caterpillar parking lot on Sept. 12. A radio was taken, according to the sheriff.
• Deputies took a report of simple assault on County Road 25.
• Deputies arrested three after a house on County Road 15 was burglarized. This incident occurred between Sept. 11 and 14, according to the sheriff. Timothy Cook and Tony Hervey each face two charges, grand larceny and burglary of a residence, for their alleged role in the crime. A juvenile was also arrested. Most of the items taken were recovered, according to the sheriff.