WATER VALLEY – Law enforcement from multiple agencies conducted a routine drug search Tuesday morning at the Water Valley High School.
“I am pleased to report we did not find any drugs at the school,” Humphreys said at the conclusion of the hour-long operation that included a drug dog from the Panola County sheriff’s department and another from the Oxford police department.
“We try to do this several times a year, carefully coordinating with school officials to cause minimal disruption of the learning environment,” the sheriff added.
The dogs searched the lockers and several classrooms randomly selected as well as the school parking lot. Humphreys said the dogs “hit” on several cars, but no drugs were uncovered after a more thorough search was conducted. The sheriff also explained that the school funds a deputy who serves as a SRO (School Resource Officer) at the high school and Davidson Elementary School to provide on-site law enforcement every day.
“Our SRO has a great working relationship with the students, teachers and administrators. I believe this relationship helps keep the schools a drug-free environment,” Humphreys added.
In other sheriff’s department news:
• Cadarius Bland of Oakland arrested on 12/5 for speeding, reckless driving, running stop sign, driving with suspended license, attempted aggravated assault on two police officers, felony fleeing, resisting arrest and leaving the scene of an accident after he jumped from his vehicle during a pursuit, letting the vehicle crash into a residence in Oakland. Bland was apprehended after a lengthy foot chase by deputies and an Oakland police officer.
• Michael Harmon of Water Valley arrested on 12/5 for careless driving, driving with suspended license and felony DUI.
• Robert Reid of Water Valley arrested on 12/6 for DUI 2nd.
• Anthony Smith of Water Valley arrested on 12/6 for DUI 1st.
• Donyel Jones of Terry arrested on 12/7 for driving with suspended license
• Received a call on 12/13 reporting an abandoned car on County Road 103 with a Texas tag. A firearm reported stolen out of Tennessee was recovered during the investigation.