WATER VALLEY – The list of political hopefuls keeps growing with the race for District 2 Supervisor attracting the most attention with nine qualifiers.
Larry Joe Gray qualified Friday and Hosea Bradford and Richard “Rickey” Wood both entered the race Tuesday morning. All three submitted qualifying papers to run on the Democrat ticket. They join Jason C. Sharp, Fred E. White, Luther W. Coleman, Kenneth E. Rogers, Luther G. Folson, Sr. and Mark Gooch as candidates for the supervisor seat. The deadline to qualify is Feb. 27.
The long list follows the announcement that incumbent Amos Sims will not seek another term.
Andrew L. Wilks qualified to run in District 5 for supervisor, joining Gaylon Gray and Otha Coffey as candidates in this race. All three qualified on the Democratic ticket. Incumbent Frank “Bubba” Tillman also announced he would not seek another term.
In District 1, the field stands at five candidates seeking the job as supervisor after incumbent Tommy Vaughn also announced he would not run again. The group includes Democratic candidates Scotty “Scrap Man” Aldridge, Michael H. Stevens, Phillip Tallant and Cayce Washington along with Republican candidate Mickell L. Dunn.
In District 4, incumbent George W. Suggs is seeking his fourth term and faces Timothy A. Booker, Sr. and Otha Coffey. All three are running as Democrats.
In District 3, incumbent John Lee McMinn, Jr. is the sole qualifier for supervisor.
Lezelrick “Pac-Rac” Hodges withdrew from the Coroner race, leaving incumbent Ronnie Stark and Wanda L. Smith as the remaining candidates, both on the Democratic ticket. Smith initially qualified as a Republican, but switched to the Democrat ballot.
Other races remain unchanged since the last qualifying report in the Herald and include:
• Chancery Court Clerk – Amy Fernandez McMinn
• Circuit Court Clerk – Daryl G. Burney
• Constable, District 1 – Bennie (Ben) Box, Ralph Horton I and Larry C. Tritt.
• Constable, District 2 – Randy Simmons
• County Prosecutor – Gail B. Barton and Daniel M. Martin
• Justice Court Judge, District 1 – Janet Ross Caulder and Gary Lloyd Tippit, Sr.
• Justice Court Judge, District 2 – R.S. “Steve” Riley
• Sheriff – Luther Gene Folson Jr., William “Lance” Humphreys and William Tyler Wortham III
• Tax Assessor/Collector – Linda Rae Shuffield
These qualifiers are all running on the Democratic ticket with the exception of Martin, who is running as an independent.