Skip to content

Traffic Stop Leads To Felony Arrest

By David Howell


WATER VALLEY – A speeding citation landed a Water Valley man in jail after a Water Valley police officer discovered the driver was a convicted felon and had a gun in the vehicle. Brandon Williams was arrested during the March 16 traffic stop on Stephens Street after he was clocked driving 41 mph, 16 over the posted speed limit on the street.

Williams was initially taken into custody for not having a driver’s license and office Bobby Kelly discovered the loaded .38 caliber pistol in the console while taking inventory of the vehicle as part of the arrest. Williams was also ticketed for speeding, no driver’s license, expired tag and no proof of liability insurance. The officer also discovered Williams had two outstanding warrants from the City of Water Valley. He was booked and released on a $2,000 bond.

Other incidents recorded in the police activity log during the last two weeks include:

• Took a report of a burglary on Wagner Street on March 27 after the homeowner reported an air compressor, nail gun and miter saw was missing from his shed. The homeowner reported he was only away from his house for an hour when the theft occurred.

• Took a report of an armed robbery on March 18 on South Main Street. According to the incident report, the victim stated that he was jumped at his house and held at knife-point by a black male while a white male went in his house and stole his laptop and iPad. 

The suspects then fled in a white Chevrolet truck with no back bumper that was driven by a white female. The victim reported both male suspects appeared to be in their mid-20s. A knife was recovered at the scene and the incident remains under investigation.

• Took a report of a stolen check on March 25 from a resident on West Lee Street. The $300 check was forged and passed in a grocery store in Lawrenceburg, Tenn.

• Responded to a disturbance at 709 Main Street on March 16. Officer Weaver Cain and Derrick Yancy reported they visited the location twice and ordered Scott Lexa to calm down during the first visit. They returned almost an hour later when the disturbance continued. Lexa was taken into custody after he was restrained with a taser. Lexa was charged with public drunk, disturbing the peace and resisting arrest.

• Investigated a report of aggravated assault in the Valley Motel Parking lot after receiving a call about a female who was “being run over by a vehicle.”

The officer discovered a white female who minor abrasions on her right leg, arms and hand. The suspect, who fled the scene, was identified and the incident report noted that the case will be presented to the grand jury as an aggravated assault with a deadly weapon. 

Leave a Comment