Skip to content

Don’t Put Off Completing Your Free Application For Federal Student Aid

By Greg Lush,
Northwest Journalism student


Going to college can be very expensive. Along with the expense, comes the stress of paying for college and how to complete financial aid in a timely manner. 

The Financial Aid office at Northwest Mississippi Community College’s Senatobia campus are urging students to apply for financial aid early so they will remain open during lunch beginning June 1 and throughout the summer. The office is normally open from 8 a.m.-noon and 1-4:30 p.m.

The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FASFA) is the form that is filled out by both current and future college students to determine if they are eligible for federal aid. In order to receive all benefits in time for the semester, it is very important that students file their application as quickly as possible to avoid any complications. 

“Don’t procrastinate. We want you to get awarded your financial aid in a timely manner. We try and help students get all documentation in as quickly as possible,” Geraldine Lester, Financial Aid receptionist said. 

  If a student completes their FAFSA on time, it allows students to bypass a lot of the problems that financial aid finds most commonly.  

“It makes awarding so much easier,” Lester said. 

For the 2017-18 academic year, students will need to use their 2015 tax information when filing. This is the only occurrence where the same tax form will be used for two separate years.

“Our goal in Financial Aid is to get the student awarded before the semester starts,” Jennifer Luna, director of Financial Aid, said. 

The Financial Aid Office also houses a veteran’s assistant to aid with government awarded military benefits such as the Post 9/11 GI Bill and the Montgomery GI Bill.

“We emphasize that students get their FASFA done before they leave for the semester. We want them to be ready for their fall return,” Luna said. 

  For more information, visit the Financial Aid page on the Northwest website at or call 662-562-3271.

Leave a Comment