Skip to content

Yard Sale Items Are Stolen While Owner Is At Lunch

By David Howell


WATER VALLEY – A thief or thieves helped themselves to an estimated $2,500 in property on Main Street during a yard sale after the owner left the property on his lawn and went to lunch.

Water Valley Police Chief Mike King reported that the victim left the property unattended  at 1201 North Main Street and was gone from 11:30 to 12:30 on May 10. 

“He had no idea who would have taken his property, but he did report he saw a red car occupied by four or five white males come by driving slow and looking at the items on display,” King told the Herald. 

The case remains under investigation.

Other law enforcement during the last two weeks includes:

• Two Lafayette County men were arrested for breaking into the concession stand at the high school football field on Wise Street on May 8.

Ryan Jones and a 17 year-old juvenile were charged with burglary of a commercial building after a family member of a Water Valley Police officer reported she had picked the pair up at the location. Reported stolen in the incident were two cases of drinks, three boxes of chips, three boxes of candy and three boxes of blow pops.

• Officers investigated a break-in at First United Methodist Church’s youth activity house located next to the sanctuary on May 14.

Unlike a February break-in at the church’s activity building where the suspects brought their own chicken and had a party, this time the perpetrator left behind a whiskey bottle.

“It was an attempted break-in,” King reported about the incident. Damage to the door and door jamb were reported. The case remains under investigation.

• Officers charged Maurice Wooten with simple cruelty to a dog after he allegedly moved from his residence on Eckford Street and abandoned his dog.

A neighbor reported that that Wooten had been evicted from his residence and left the dog for 10 days. The neighbor also reported she had been feeding and watering the dog for the last two days. The dog was picked up by a city worker and stayed at the police station, where it “howled and barked” for several hours before Second Chance Animal Alliance picked him up. 

Leave a Comment