By David Howell
WATER VALLEY – The election results from last Tuesday’s Democratic Primary Runoff were certified Monday with incumbent Mayor Larry Hart receiving 488 votes and Terry Rockette receiving 422 votes. The vote count remained the same following the Tuesday night tally after 17 affidavit ballots that were examined Thursday by the city’s election commissioners were deemed ineligible.
This leaves one contested race in the City of Water Valley. Voters in Ward 4 will go to the poll in the General Election on June 6 for the race between incumbent Larry Bell and Nicole Folson. Bell qualified to run as an independent and Folson is running as a Democrat. City Clerk Vivian Snider reported that all four of the precincts in Water Valley will be open on June 6 as required by state law, even though the other positions were settled in the Democratic Primary and the nominees are uncontested in the general election.
The June 6 General Election will also settle all of the positions in Coffeeville and Oakland as all candidates in both towns run as independents. Candidates in Coffeeville include:
• Mack Burns and William Shelton for mayor;
• Bryan McCullough and Donald “Duck” Hayes for Alderman-at-Large;
• Eva L. Longstreet for Ward 1 Alderman;
• George E. “Chick” Miller and James Anthony Matthews, Sr. for Ward 2 Alderman;
• Joe R. Bourn for Ward 3 Alderman; and
• Michael “Mike” Ayers for Ward 4 Alderman.
Oakland candidates include:
• James Swearengen, Sam Jones and Cedric Jones for mayor;
• George Booker, Terry Ellis, Sharonda Jones, Mar-zet Bland, Joe Willie Jenkins, Lula Jenkins, Roshunder Pierce and Clay Walton, Sr. Aldermen do not run in specific wards and the top five vote-getters will take office.