Skip to content

Deputies Make Three Drug Arrests During The Weekend

By David Howell


WATER VALLEY –  Sheriff Lance Humphreys reported deputies made three felony drug arrests over the weekend. Gevonte Jones was arrested Friday night at 9:21 after deputies Taylor Byford and Jason Mangum initially stopped him for driving at a high rate of speed on Hwy. 330, just outside Coffeeville. Deputies searched the vehicle after detecting a strong smell of marijuana. 

According to the sheriff, Jones admitted he had recently smoked marijuana, but denied having any in his vehicle. A search turned up a bag containing alleged marijuana in Jones’ pants pocket and another bag in his glove box. Both bags contained smaller, individually wrapped bags likely packaged to resell. 

Jones was charged with expired or no vehicle tag, possession of marijuana with intent to distribute, careless driving and DUI/other.

The second arrest was made at 2:04 a.m.  Sunday morning after Byford and Mangrum stopped James Tellis near the Water Valley Boat Landing community at the intersection of County Road 53 and Hwy. 32. Tellis was charged with careless driving, no proof of liability insurance, possession of drug paraphernalia and possession of marijuana with intent to distribute. 

The sheriff reported that over 30 grams of marijuana were discovered in the vehicle. The drugs were located in a glass jar discovered in a backpack on the back seat of the car. 

“Again, the deputy could smell the marijuana after stopping the vehicle,” Humphreys said. 

Several hours later Joel Pirtle of Greenwood was stopped by the same deputies on Wise Street in Water Valley.

“This stop was made at 4:50 a.m., the vehicle’s tail lights weren’t working and Pirtle told officers his back lights had been out for weeks,” Humphreys said.

Pirtle agreed to allow the deputies to search his vehicle and more than 20 dosage units of alleged ecstasy were uncovered.

“The pills field tested positive as MDMA, commonly called ecstasy,” Humphreys explained.

Jones, Tells and Pirtle were each booked at the Yalobusha County Detention Center and were still in custody Monday afternoon.

Leave a Comment