Davidson Elementary School will celebrate Red Ribbon Week October 23-31. This year’s theme is “Life is Your Journey, Travel DRUG FREE!”
The Red Ribbon Campaign started when drug traffickers in Mexico City murdered DEA Agent Kiki Camerena in 1985.
How can Water Valley help celebrate this very important campaign in your business or home? A few simple ways to show your support are: Wear red ribbons and distribute them to your employees; Display a red ribbon or bow at your business or residence to show your support of a Drug-Free Water Valley; and Sponsor DES classrooms.
DES Red Ribbon Dress-Up Days include:
• Tuesday, October 23—Red Ribbon Week begins, Wear all Red;
• Wednesday, October 24—We do HUGS not DRUGS at DES, Bring a stuffed animal to school;
• Thursday, October 25—Lei off Drugs—Hawaiian Theme/ Leis (school will provide students with their very own Lei);
• Friday, October 26—Protect your brain from Drugs—Wear Hat, Wig, Crazy hair;
• Monday, October 29—Cover yourself in Blue from Head to Toe;
• Tuesday, October 30—Team Up Against Drugs—Wear Your Favorite Team Jersey or Shirt;
• Wednesday, October 31, Halloween— Drugs are Scary—Wear your Halloween Costume to school or work (Nothing that promotes violence).
Please encourage your child or student to participate in these days and our local businesses are also encouraged to have employees join in these dress up days as well. The children would love it.
During this fun week of saying no to drugs there will also be a door decorating contest for each classroom. Rooms will be judged by volunteers from the community. If you would like to volunteer or donate prizes for winners, contact DES at 473-1110 and ask for Marine Cobern.
DES will also host a Pep Rally October 26 in the Gym of the school, with performances by the newly formed Drama Club, WVHS Drum Line, Water Valley Cheerleaders, and Devil Dolls. There will also be speakers to encourage adopting a drug-free lifestyle.
DES encourages the community to join them in supporting National Red Ribbon Week. For more information contact DES at 473-1110 or email email@example.com.