By David Howell
WATER VALLEY – Incumbent Mayor Larry Hart was the final candidate to qualify for municipal office in Water Valley, bringing the tally of mayoral candidates to four. The deadline to qualify was last Friday at 5 p.m.
Hart will join Terry L. Rockette, Cynthia E. Harmon and Herbert Rogers on the Democratic ticket in the May 2 primary election to compete for the city’s top elected position. A primary runoff election is scheduled May 16 if no candidate receives a majority of the votes cast on May 2.
Candidates running for alderman positions in Water Valley include:
• Incumbent Donald Gray and Amos Harvey for Alderman-at-Large;
• Incumbent Bobby J. Cox and Kagan Coughlin for Ward One;
• Incumbent Fred White and Freddie Folson for Ward Two;
• Incumbent Phillip Tallant, Cinnamon Foster and Sandra R. Williams for Ward Three;
• Incumbent Larry Bell and Nicole Folson in Ward Four. Bell qualified as an independent and is the only candidate not running on the Democratic ticket in Water Valley. Bell and Folson will run in the General Election scheduled June 6.
The winners will take office in July.
The final candidate lists were not available Tuesday for Oakland and Coffeeville.