County Crime Report
An Oxford woman is behind bars in a multi-jurisdictional investigation involving the alleged thefts of checks from victims’ mailboxes.
Sheriff Lance Humphreys reported Tina Rushing, 21, was arrested in Water Valley and has been charged with conspiracy to utter forgery and grand larceny.
Humphreys said that Rushing allegedly had traveled across north Mississippi taking outgoing mail from mailboxes with flags raised. She would then, according to Humphreys, alter personal checks that were addressed to a creditor in an attempt to cash them.
Rushing is currently in the Yalobusha County Jail with a $10,000 bond.
“Anyone who has mailed bills and received notice their creditor has not received the check should check with their bank,” the sheriff advised.
In other sheriff’s department news:
• Deputies made an arrest on County Road 432 for domestic violence;
• Investigated a report of a 1969 Bel Aire car stolen from County Road 124. The vehicle was recovered at the house of the primary suspect in the incident.
“We recovered the car minus the engine and transmission,” Humphreys said. Charges are pending.
• Made an arrest for DUI on County Road 55 on February 23. Humphreys said the arrest was made after the offender wrecked his vehicle in a ditch and had a few “choice” words for the deputy who responded to the call.
• Worked an assault on 53 Persimmon Street in Oakland on February 23.
• Investigated a hit-and-run accident on February 20. The accident occurred adjacent to the Exxon station in Oakland.
• Responded to a domestic call on County Road 106 on February 22.
Water Valley Crime Report
Water Valley Lt. Rick McCuan reported the following activity in the Water Valley City limits during the past week:
• Made two arrests for driving under suspension;
• Made one arrest for simple assault;
• Made one arrest for DUI first offense;
• Issued two citations for juvenile in possession of beer;
• Issued a citation for disturbing the peace, loud music in a motor vehicle;
• Took a report of petty larceny;
• Took two reports of simple assault;
• Took a report of simple domestic assault;
• Took a crash report of a vehicle striking the Sprint Mart building;
• Issued 27 traffic tickets.