What would a birthday celebration be without a cake? So, the Water Valley Main Street Association is sponsoring a birthday cake competition to honor the city’s sesquicentennial observance.
The contest will be one of many activities planned for Founder’s Day on April 19. “Cakes will be judged on how well they represent and celebrate the theme “Water Valley’s 150th Birthday,” said Ramona Bernard, contest chairman.
Categories will include most elaborate, most original and most beautiful. There will also be a blue ribbon for the junior participant (under 18) whose cake best represents the theme, Bernard added.
Other activities planed for the day will include:
• 5K Run – 8:30 a.m.
• Photo Contest with entries on display at the WVMSA office
• Bruce Gurner History Essay Award
• Fashion Show with clothing from 1858 – 2008 – 10:30 a.m.
• Opening ceremonies at the downtown pavilion – 11:00 a.m.
• Baby crawl – noon
• Three-legged race/sack race – 1:00 p.m.
• Pudding eating contest – 2:00 p.m.
• Pet parade – 2:30 p.m.
• Hula Hoop contest – 3:00 p.m.
• Egg and spoon relay race – 3:30 p.m.
• Checkers/Chess tournament – 4:00 p.m.
• Popcorn tossing/eating contest – 4:30 p.m.
• Horseshoe tossing and washer toss – 5:00 p.m.
• Time capsule presentation – 6:00 p.m.
• Fireworks display – after dark.
There will also be music all day and an evening concert by Thompson-Ward. There will also be a Chamber of Commerce softball tournament to round out the activities. For more information, contact the WVMSA office at 473-3796 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.