By Jack Gurner
WATER VALLEY – Friday night teams from all over Yalobusha County were cooking, raffling, and selling at the annual Relay For Life which began at 4:30 p.m. and continued through the night at the Crawford Sports Complex.
Celebrate, Remember, Fight Back is the theme for the 2009 American Cancer Society’s national campaign, according to Glenda Gordon, event chairperson. The local Relay For Life event is in it sixth year as an annual spring fundraiser in Yalobusha County.
At press time, the event had already raised $38,000. “In this day and time we are so grateful for all the donations,” Gordon said.
An important part of the evening is the Luminaria ceremony beginning at 9 p.m. “The fifth grade classes of Mrs. Rene Thompson and Mrs. Sharmon Norwood have been working all year coloring the bags that you will see around the walking track,” Gordon continued.
Luminarias can be purchased until 1 p.m. at Mechanics Bank on Friday. After that, the bags can be purchased at the sports complex.
Relay For Life is the American Cancer Society’s signature event. “It brings communities together to raise awareness and funds for cancer research, advocacy, and patient services,” said Gordon.
“We invite the community to come out to share with us and enjoy some great entertainment and great food. The Lord has blessed us with beautiful weather for the day, so we hope to see you there.”
The 12 participating teams and what they will have to offer are:
• Windsor Foods – plates with a variety of their foods;
• Mechanics Bank – vegetable soup, cornbread, and chances on a $300 Visa gift card;
• Dynamic Conquerors – BBQ, Boston butts, sandwiches, and drinks;
• Sylva Rena – cakes, pies, raffle, and silent auction;
• BorgWarner I & II – chances on a quilt and snacks;
• We Love Lucy – cotton candy, boiled peanuts, hamburgers, hotdogs, glow jewelry, sweet tea, and chances on a fish cooker;
• Sheriff’s Department – portable jail, radar gun game with prizes, polish sausages, hamburgers, drinks, snacks, popcorn, and BBQ chicken sandwiches;
• Aflac – snow cones and raffle;
• Yalobusha General Hospital and Nursing Home – silent auction, funnel cakes, drinks, corndogs, necklaces, and tattoos;
• First Methodist Church – T-shirts, photos with the ???Groovin’ Man”, smoked sausages, and hotdogs;
• First Christian Church;
• Bayson Chapel Prayer Warriors – the “bouncer” for children.
Games and activities sponsored by Water
Valley Junior Auxiliary
Survivors Celebration Registration and Party
Sponsored by Red Hat Melons and spouses
Cooking by Dale and Arlene Wilbourn
Welcome by Event Chairman, Glenda Gordon
Recognition of Relay Committee
Recognition of Relay Teams
Recognition of Relay Sponsors
Cold Mix, Nettleton
L. Hart, Inc.
Larson’s Piggly Wiggly
North Mississippi Herald
Water Valley Chamber of Commerce
Black and Associates, PA
Odom’s Sunday School Class
Water Valley Chamber of Commerce
Yalobusha General Hospital and Nursing Home
Recognition of ACS Staff
National Anthem, Jill Clark
Raising of American Flag, D.E.S. Student
First Lap of Relay – Cancer
Survivor’s Lap and Reading of
Second Lap – Cancer Survivors and their family
Third Lap – all teams begin walking the track
Water Valley Cheerleaders cheer walkers
7:00 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. Live Entertainment
Yalobusha County Idol Winners
Yalobusha General Hospital – Drawings
Lighting of the Luminaria
One moment of silence
Entertainment Continues, Elvis Will Appear
Relay Teams turn in all donations
Closing Ceremonies, Prayer