TILLATOBA – Two people were killed in a weekend crash on I-55 in Yalobusha County, just about a half mile south of Tillatoba.
Helen White, age 38, of Forrest City, Arkansas, was killed when her vehicle, a Lexus, struck an 18-wheeler, according to Yalobusha County Coroner Ronnie Stark. She was pronounced dead at the scene by Stark. The accident occurred Sunday morning around 2:55 a.m.
The second fatality, a passenger in White’s vehicle, Louis Franklin, age 45, died Tuesday morning in the Regional Medical Center in Memphis as a result of injuries sustained in the accident, according to Stark.
Franklin was transported to Tri-Lakes Medical Center and then airlifted to Memphis.
“His family told me that they were taking him off life support Monday, and he passed away Tuesday,” Stark said.
Stark also reported that people at the wreck scene said the 18-wheeler had stopped after another vehicle, a pickup truck, had turned over.
“The 18-wheeler driver had stopped to help the driver of the pickup,” Stark said about the accident.
The Lexus then struck the parked 18-wheeler, in the second, deadly accident. Other patients were transported, both by the Grenada Lake Medical Center ambulance and the Yalobusha General Hospital Ambulance.
The Mississippi Highway Patrol worked the accident. They were assisted by Yalobusha County deputies and the Tillatoba Fire Department.
City Law Report
WATER VALLEY – Lt. Rick McCuan reported the following law enforcement activity within the Water Valley City limits during the past week:
• Investigating a shooting into a dwelling;
• Made one arrest for driving under suspension;
• Made one arrest for simple domestic assault;
• Made an arrest for disorderly conduct;
• Took a report of simple domestic assault, warrant issued;
• Took a report of petty larceny;
• Took a report of trespassing;
• Took a report of malicious mischief;
• Issued a citation for confining an animal without food or water;
• Issued a youth summons – three youths were throwing rocks at old cars;
• Issued 14 traffic citations.