WATER VALLEY – Police responded to several fireworks related calls over the July 4 holiday weekend starting Thursday night when a Blackmur Drive resident reported hearing gunshots.
Just moments before the midnight call, several loud aerial burst type fireworks went off in front of the public housing units nearby.
On Saturday, police were called to a “bottle rocket war” around 8:30 p.m. near the intersection of Herring and Church Streets. Another call followed at just after 9 p.m. to Wagner Street where youths were reportedly throwing fireworks under the carport of a home.
Sunday officers responded to Rolling Hills just after 10 p.m. to investigate reports of fireworks being shot at the houses.
The action continued Monday when a group of youths frightened a motorist on Central at Lee Street around 9:20 by hitting her car with fireworks.
Lt. Rick McCuan reported the following additional law enforcement activity within the Water Valley City limits during the past week:
• Made three arrests for driving under suspension;
• Made an arrest for possession of marijuana in a motor vehicle;
• Made an arrest for DUI, first offense;
• Made an arrest for simple domestic assault and trespassing;
• Made an arrest for the City of Oxford;
• Took a report of a missing person, but it was cancelled;
• Took a report of leaving the scene of a crash;
• Took a report of simple domestic assault;
• Took a report of simple assault;
• Took a report of stalking;
• Issued 32 traffic citations.