By David Howell
WATER VALLEY – A teenager illegally soliciting money for for St. Jude prompted multiple complaints to the sheriff’s department and culminated with an arrest for a home burglary.
Yalobusha Sheriff Lance Humphreys said he was responding to the initial call when several additional callers from the Water Valley Boat Landing area contacted his department reporting the suspicious teenager.
“When I got there, she admitted that she had broken into nearby home,” Humphreys said. Accompanying the 15 year-old girl was her 17 year-old brother, Jonathan Holland, and a 10 year-old. Holland was charged with burglary and grand larceny and his 15-year sister faces charges in the juvenile court system.
“This was a rare case in which we were able to solve the crime before it was reported,” Humphreys said. “This homeowner had sustained three break-ins in recent years.”
The stolen items, which included jewelry and change, were recovered and returned to the home owner.
In other law enforcement news deputies:
• Responded to a larceny call on County Road 212 on August 10. A lawnmower was reported missing.
• Responded to a trespassing call on County Road 95 on August 10.
• Answered a call on County Road 95 for a family disturbance. Humphreys said a teenager refused to go to school because he did not have the proper school supplies or attire. Deputies were searching for donations to help equip the teenager for school.
• Responded to a family disturbance call on County Road 169 on Aug. 9.
• Answered a larceny call on County Road 230 on Aug. 9. A wallet was reported stolen.
• Answered a simple assault charge in Oakland on Redbud Street on Aug. 5.
• Investigated a rape charge on County Road 15 on Aug. 4. Humphreys said the incident involves an estranged husband and wife, and the information will be presented to a grand jury.
• Responded to a charge of theft of utilities on County road 232.
• Made an arrest for second offense DUI and careless driving in Water Valley on Aug. 3.
• Investigated a report of simple assault on Hardy Road near Scoby on Aug. 3.
• Assisted the Gulfport Police Department with an investigation involving a stolen identity. Humphreys said the suspect is a Yalobusha County woman and his department is waiting for a warrant to make the arrest.
“She had applied for and received credit with Dish, Direct TV and A,T & T,” Humphreys said.
• Investigated a malicious mischief case on July 31 on County Road 432.
• Responded to a traffic accident on County Road 206 on July 31.
• Answered a call involving a report of malicious mischief on July 31 on County Road 432.
• Made an arrest for public drunk on Huckleberry Lane on July 31.
• Investigated a simple assault on County Road 94 on July 31.
• Worked a traffic accident on County Road 330 after a car hydroplaned off the road on July 28.
City Crime Report
WATER VALLEY – Lt. Rick McCuan reported the following law enforcement activity within the Water Valley City limits during the past week:
• Made five arrests for driving under suspension;
• Made an arrest for DUI, first offense;
• Made an arrest for simple domestic assault;
• Made an arrest for simple assault;
• Made an arrest for possession of marijuana and public drunk;
• Made an arrest for trespassing;
• Took three reports of malicious mischief;
• Took two reports of a dog ordinance violation, running at large;
• Took a report of leaving the scene of a crash;
• Took a report of a disturbing the peace;
• Took a report of credit card fraud;
• Issued two citations for disturbing the peace, loud music;
• Issued 30 traffic citations.