Driver Arrested After Fleeing Accident Scene
A motorist is facing D.U.I. charges after crashing into a Beat One county pickup and leaving the accident scene on Hwy. 7 between Coffeeville and Water Valley on Monday morning.
Sheriff William “Lance” Humphreys reported the motorist was arrested on County Road 436, near the new sheriff’s department after almost colliding with a second vehicle.
“The driver of the second vehicle stopped the driver and called a deputy,” Humphreys said about the arrest. The driver was charged with D.U.I., other substance.
In other law enforcement news:
• An arrest was made for D.U.I., first offense, after blowing almost five times the legal limit, according to Humphreys.
A deputy stopped the vehicle after the intoxicated driver allegedly ran a stop sign in Coffeeville at the intersection of Okahoma Street and Hwy. 330. The motorist registered .39 percent blood alcohol contest and reported he had been drinking moonshine.
• Investigated the theft of property at the Water Valley Courthouse last week.
• Investigated a simple assault and malicious mischief on Sept. 17 at Tillatoba. Charges were filed in the incident.
• Made an arrest for D.U.I. and careless driving in the Wildcat area on Sept. 18.
• Worked a traffic accident on County Road 212 on Sept. 16.
• Responded to a structure fire on County Road 90 on Sept. 15.
“This fire is suspected to be arson and remains under investigation,” Humphreys reported.
• Took a report of harassing phone calls and stalking on County Road 96 on Sept. 14.
• Took a report of domestic violence on County Road 124 on Sept. 13.
• Worked a traffic accident on Sept. 13 on County Road 90.
• Investigated the theft of numerous road signs during the weekend of Sept. 12 and 13. Nine juveniles from Water Valley, Oxford, and other areas were linked to the incident.
“We investigated missing signs from county roads 107, 106 and 109,” Humphreys reported. The initial report came from a passing motorist and responding deputies were able to stop the juveniles and recover the signs.
“They are charged through the youth court system,” Humphreys added.
• Took a report of trespassing on County Road 169 on Sept. 11.
• Took a report of sexual battery outside of Coffeeville. This incident remains under investigation.
• Took a report of larceny on County Road 222 on Sept. 10.
• Took a report of larceny on County Road 436 on Sept. 9.
• Investigated an identity theft on Sept. 9.
City Crime Report
WATER VALLEY – Police have charged John Tubbs, 39, of Oxford with felony DUI. Tubbs was arrested last Thursday, Sept. 17, on the Hwy. 7 bypass after a traffic stop.
Lt. Rick McCuan reported the following law enforcement activity within the Water Valley City limits during the past week:
• Made one arrest for driving under suspension;
• Made an arrest for shoplifting, second offense;
• Made an arrest for possession of marijuana;
• Made an arrest for possession of drug paraphernalia;
• Made an arrest for no drivers license;
• Took two reports of trespassing;
• Took a report of petty larceny;
• Issued 16 traffic citations;
• Investigated one crash.