By Jack Gurner
WATER VALLEY – Three men face multiple counts of malicious mischief in a series of mailbox bashing incidents that began in mid-June.
One man is currently being held in the Yalobusha County Jail and two others are expected to turn themselves in this week, according to Sheriff Lance Humphreys.
The men, all in their late teens, face 11 counts each of malicious mischief in connection with the mailbox destruction that took place east of Water Valley on Hwy. 315 and several county roads. The most recent incidents took place last Saturday night and into Sunday morning.
“We have several victims who have requested community service and restitution,” Humphreys added.
Other law enforcement activity reported by Humphreys during last week includes:
• Arrested John Wesley Box, 41, of Tillatoba on July 5 during a routine traffic stop and charged him with possession of pseudoephedrine pills and possession of methamphetamine.
• Arrested Robert Box July 7 for simple assault and domestic violence.
• Investigated the theft of an 18-wheeler trailer loaded with about 50,000 pounds of metal parts. The theft occurred between July 1 and July 5.
• Responded to Persim-mon Hill Boat Ramp July 3 after a Tahoe backed into Enid Lake.
• Investigated burglaries that took place July 2 and again on July 6 near the Water Valley Boat Landing. Several 12 to 13-year-old juveniles broke into three unoccupied houses including one that they used as a “club house/party pad.”
The youngsters watched satellite TV at the home and ran up a pay-for-view bill for adult movies. Humphreys said that most of the stolen property has been recovered.
• Investigated a simple assault/domestic violence incident on CR 222 on July 6.
• Took a report of trespassing on CR 84 on July 9.
• Investigated a malicious mischief on County Road 222 on July 10.
• Took a report of a simple assault during which an Oxford man pulled a gun on another Oxford man at a convenience store on the Bypass before escaping north on Hwy. 7. Charges were filed July 10.
• Investigated a burglary on Hwy. 32 on July 10.
• Took a report of malicious mischief on CR 224 on July 10.
• Investigated a scrap metal theft on Hwy. 32 East July 10.
• Investigated possibly connected larcenies on CR 87 and CR 86 at two unoccupied residencies. The incidents occurred sometime between June 10 and the present.