WATER VALLEY – Varsity Basketball begins this weekend with the Valley Classic at the WVHS gym, according to Superintendent Kim Chrestman.
“Games are scheduled for each night, Thursday through Saturday, with North Panola and Coffeeville joining our Blue Devils for the opening weekend of Blue Devil basketball action,” he reported to school trustees at their meeting Tuesday night. Charleston was scheduled to participate in the tournament, but will not play because the football team will compete in the state championship this weekend.
Chrestman also reported that WVHS seniors took the ASVAB (Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery) Tuesday. “Mississippi National Guard Recruiter and Career Counselor Kody Clowers arranged this opportunity for our seniors,” he said.
The ASVAB is one of the most widely used, multiple-aptitude tests in the world, developed and maintained by the Department of Defense. It is designed to help young adults identify and explore potential occupations either in the military or in the civilian world.
Among other announcements from his report, Chrestman said:
• Lois Kappler from the Mississippi State University Research and Curriculum Unit who meet with high school teachers Thursday. The Superintendent said that Kappler will share information regarding the M-STAR teacher evaluation program. “They would like to use Water Valley to help pilot the program,” Chrestman told school board trustees at their Sept. 17 meeting.
• The Water Valley High School Drama Club will travel to Mississippi State University on Friday for the annual Drama Festival. Teachers Koshenina, Ramirez and Murchison will accompany club members on this trip.
• The Davidson Dollar store is about to open for its second time and DES students will Deck the Halls with their earned Davidson Dollars. Students who pay $8 Davidson Dollars will get to decorate the hallways for Christmas.
• The Water Valley High School Band along with several other school groups and individual students will participate in the Water Valley Christmas parade on Saturday at 1:00 in downtown Water Valley.
• Subject Area Retests are scheduled for the week of Dec. 10. Students scheduled for retesting are being offered remediation both at school and on-line. Seniors are also attending an off-campus tutorial in Senatobia provided by the Mississippi Department of Education.
• DES Character breakfast is scheduled for Dec. 13 at 8:30 a.m.
• The WVHS cheerleaders are finalizing their routines and plans for the State Cheer Championships competition in Jackson on Saturday, Dec. 15. “WVHS has a rich cheerleading tradition and the girls look to continue a strong showing at the State Cheer Championships,” Chrest-man noted.
• Semester exams will be the week of December 17-21, with Friday, Dec. 21, being a 60% day. School will resume after Christmas holidays on Jan. 7.