Police Seek Trio In Assault
WATER VALLEY – Police are seeking three local men in connection with a shooting that occurred on Fly Street just before 3 p.m. on New Year’s Eve.
Residents of the 200 block of Fly Street found Latonya Carr seated in his blue and white pickup truck with multiple gunshot wounds to the head. Residents said they didn’t react to the loud bangs immediately because youngsters had been shooting fireworks just a short time before.
Carr, 33, has a Batesville address, but is believed to reside in Water Valley. He was flown by helicopter to the Regional Medical Center in Memphis where he remains in critical condition, police said Monday.
Warrants for aggravated assault and conspiracy have been issued for Spencer Tyrone Morgan, 40; James Johnson, Jr., 25; and Kevin Eugene Kelly, 34, according to Police Chief Mike King.
Chief King said anyone with information about the shooting is urged to contact Yalobusha County Crime Stoppers. The organization will pay up to $1,000 for information about this crime. You can contact Crime Stoppers at 1-866-933-TIPS or 473-4935.
Tips can also be sent by email to: TIPS@ Yalobusha County.net. Crime Stoppers callers are never required to reveal their identity nor testify in court.
Police reported the following law enforcement activity within the city limits for the two-week holiday period beginning Dec. 24:
• Simple domestic assault on Calhoun Street Dec. 24;
• Malicious mischief on Simmons Street Dec. 26;
• Sale of a controlled substance on Suggs and Edgefield Streets Dec. 26;
• Disturbance of the peace on Lafayette Street Dec. 27;
• Shoplifting at Sprint Mart Dec. 27;
• Abandoned vehicle on Boyd Street Dec. 29;
• Arrest for shoplifting at Sprint Mart Dec. 29;
• Arrest for public drunk on Eckford Street Dec. 30;
• Burglary at a business on Martin Street Dec. 30;
• Shoplifting on Main Street Dec. 31;
• Arrest for violation of the city dog ordinance on Bergland Street Dec. 31;
• Simple assault on Grandview Drive Dec. 31;
• Arrest for disturbance of the peace on Jones Street Jan. 1;
• Arrest for DUI on Daniels Drive Jan. 1;
• Petty larceny and malicious mischief on Bergland Street Jan. 1;
• Malicious mischief on Mounds Pleasant Circle Jan. 3;
• Petty larceny on Bergland Street Jan. 3;
• Arrest for violation of the city truck ordinance on Main Street Jan. 4;
• Found property on Frostland Drive Jan 5;
• Malicious mischief on South Street Jan. 6;
• Issued 16 traffic citations.