By David Howell
WATER VALLEY – City police arrested Skyzic Haire on Feb. 1 for a barrage of charges including driving with a suspended driving license, possession of drug paraphernalia, and possession of a weapon by a felon.
Police Chief A.J. Hernandez reported Haire was arrested on South Main Street following a traffic stop. Officers found two machetes and rounds for multiple pistols in his vehicle.
Other police activity recorded from Jan. 21 – Feb. 12 includes:
• Arrested James West for shoplifting, felony fleeing, speeding, reckless driving and driving with a suspended license on Jan.19. Hernandez reported West allegedly shoplifted beer from the Exxon station on the south end of town. A good Samaritan assisted police by following West on Hwy. 7 until an officer caught up with him on Hwy. 7 near Central Street. West pulled over after throwing the beer out the window and traveling several more miles;
• Worked a two-car accident on South Main St., on Jan. 21;
• Took a report of stalking on Jan. 22;
• Responded to a report of domestic assault on Jan. 24. No charges were filed;
• Responded to a report of a dog ordinance violation on North Main St. on Jan. 24.
• Made an arrest for public drunk at the intersection of Wise and Main Street on Jan. 26.
• Made an arrest for possession of marijuana, no proof of liability insurance, improper equipment, running a stop sign and possession of drug paraphernalia at the intersection of Central and Lafayette Street on Jan. 26;
• Worked a vehicle accident in the Methodist Church parking lot on Jan. 26;
• Recovered a Nissan Altima on Jan. 27. The vehicle had been reported stolen from Panola Street. Hernandez reported an officer was responding to a possible sighting of the vehicle when he spotted it and attempted a traffic stop near South Street. The driver failed to stop and the officer pursued the vehicle on Hwy. 32 East in heavy rain and hydroplaned, wrecking the patrol car.
The stolen vehicle was recovered after it also crashed approximately seven-tenths of a mile from where the officer wrecked. Two suspects fled the scene but were later identified using surveillance from cameras at Rolling Hills. A youth court summons has been issued for a 15-year old and 16 year-old juvenile in connection with the incident.
“Fortunately neither the officer nor the juveniles were injured in the incident,” Henandez reported.
• Arrested Anthony Gooch for multiple warrants on Jan. 28;
• Picked up an abandoned dog on Prospect Drive on Jan. 28;
• Made an arrest for possession of marijuana in a motor vehicle and possession of paraphernalia at Exxon on Jan. 28.
• Responded to a potential drug overdose at Baker Street Park on Jan. 31. An ambulance responded to transport the patient.
• Made an arrest for trespassing on Boyd Street on Jan. 31;
• Responded to a call involving a mental person on South Main St. of Feb. 1. The person was transported to their residence;
• Made an arrest for contempt of court;
• Made an arrest for obstructing a roadway on South Main on Feb. 1;
• Investigated a hit and run vehicle accident in the BorgWarner parking lot on Feb. 2;
• Worked a vehicle accident at the Crawdad Hole on Feb. 3;
• Made an arrest for shoplifting at Dollar General on Feb. 5;
• Took a report of a stolen dog on Eckford Street on Feb. 3;
• Took a report of stalking on Feb. 6;
• Worked a vehicle accident on East Wood Street on Feb. 6;
• Picked up a public drunk on Feb. 6.
• Responded to a report of three juveniles dragging a boat down the street on Feb. 6;
• Worked a vehicle accident on Feb. 7;
• Responded to a domestic complaint on Feb. 7 after the caller told the dispatcher his wife was acting like a b….;
• Worked a vehicle accident at North Court and Mills Street on Feb. 7;
• Wrote a citation for driving with a suspended driver’s license on Hwy 7 on Feb. 7;
• Made an arrest for disorderly conduct, failure to comply and resisting arrest at the Exxon station on Feb. 8;
• Responded to a vehicle accident at Larson’s Cash Saver on Feb. 9;
• Made an arrest for DUI, first offense and no proof of liability insurance on Feb. 9;
• Worked a two-car accident on Feb. 10;
• Responded to a report of domestic assault on North Main Street;
• Responded to a report of sexual battery on Feb. 11. Hernandez reported the case remains under investigation.
• Issued 29 traffic citations from Jan. 20 – Feb. 21.